After Facebook, two other social media platforms nod to ‘comply’ with new norms 
Newsdetail

After Facebook, two other social media platforms nod to ‘comply’ with new norms

The new policy has been formulated by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and it will come into the effect from May 26.

The news about the Indian government’s new policy for social mediaplatforms has stormed the Internet as dissent to the latest guidelines could bandigital media giants to function here. The new policy has been formulated bythe Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and it will come into the effect from May 26.

Earlier in the day, Facebook said that it is ready to comply with the newguidelines. However, hours later, two other social media platforms YouTube andGoogle assured of the same to the GoI.

Google has said that it has a long history of complying with the locallaws here in order to manage the content and it will continue to support theIndian government over the new guidelines.

"Werespect India's legislative process and have a long history of responding togovernment requests to remove content where the content violates the local lawor our product policies. We have consistently invested in significant productchanges, resources, and personnel to ensure that we're combating illegalcontent in an effective and fairway, and in order to comply with local laws inthe jurisdictions that we operate in," a Google spokesperson said today.

"We realize that our work inkeeping our platforms secure is never done and we will continue to refine ourexisting approaches, and evolve our policies, and be as transparent as possibleabout how we make decisions," he added.

It is to be noted here that YouTubeis a part of Google and its consent to comply with the rules has been given bythe Google itself.

SCROLL FOR NEXT