Ever wondered why people in old age always suffer with weak bones? This is because in later stage of life calcium is taken from bones to fulfill basic requirements of the body. It is believed that people who do not consume enough calcium till the age of 20 develop higher risks of osteoporosis in later stage of their life.
How beneficial is Calcium for you?
Calcium is an essential chemical element for human health. Calcium plays a vital role in maintaining bone health and proper metabolism of the body. Calcium plays a fundamental role in muscle contraction and blood clotting. However, one must take into account that calcium is not effectively absorbed by the body in the absence of vitamin D.
Calcium rich food:
Let us become aware of a list of nutritional foods mandatory to maintain proper body functioning. Calcium rich food include the following:
1. Milk : Known since ages, milk is proven to keep women fair. Apart from the same, milk is essential for the kids. Remember the old childhood days when you were forced to have that cup of milk everyday. Perhaps, mothers always did that for our benefit.
2. Yogurt: Sweet yogurt finds its use in many of the day to day recipes. Curd acts as a pro-biotic and prevents indigestion.
Also Read: 'Unknown' Benefits of Brown Rice
3. Cheese: Cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, cheese spread and cheese slices find use in many toasts, sandwiches and pizzas. Consumption of cheese is as effortless as consuming a pie.
4. Oranges: The tangy and easily available fruit is a rich source of calcium. One medium sized orange contains 60 mg of calcium according to the medical science.
5. Almonds: Almonds is the drupaceous fruit that is proved to protect against cardiovascular diseases and lowers the risk of diabetes. It is also believed to be associated with good memory. So, don’t forget to start your day with soaked almonds.
6. Green leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are a rich source of calcium. This category provides a number of options that is spinach, celery and broccoli.
With a bit of disadvantage, the calcium supplements can cause side effects, such as bloating and gas. Some dark green vegetables inculcate in them high levels of oxalic acid, which may diminish the individual’s capacity to absorb calcium.