Bhai Dooj 2021: Know Puja Muhrat, Puja Vidhi, History, Wishes, and More!
The festival of Bhai Dooj is celebrated on the second day of Shukla Paksha. This falls on the Hindu lunar month of Kartik.Author : Divyanshi Soni
Every year, Bhai Dooj, the festival that celebrates the bond of brother and sister, is celebrated a day after Diwali. Much like Raksha Bandhan, Bhai Dooj is also celebrated across the country and Bhai Dooj is a bit different as on this day sisters pray for the long and happy lives of brothers but don’t tie rakhi on their wrist.
Bhai Dooj, also known as Yama Dwitiya or Bhai Tika is observed in the Hindu calendar month of Kartika on the second lunar day of the 'Shukla Paksha' following ‘Govardhan Pooja’ or ‘Annakoot.’ This year the festival would be celebrated on November 6.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Date and Time
Bhai Dooj 2021 Date – Saturday, November 6, 2021
Bhai Dooj Aparahna Time – 1:10 pm to 3:21 pm
Starting of Dwitiya Tithi – 11:14 pm on Nov 5, 2021
Ending of Dwitiya Tithi – 07:44 pm on Nov 6, 2021
Bhai Dooj 2021: Significance
The legend behind this festival of brother and sister is that Yamaraj, the Hindu god of death, paid a visit to his sister the Yamuna on this day after the latter failed to see her brother many times. When he finally met his sister after a long time, he was greeted by the Yamuna grandly and lovingly, which impressed Yamaraj so much that he asked the Yamuna to ask for anything in return.
After that, Yamuna urged that he dedicate a day each year when Yamaraj would pay a visit to her sister's home, and thus the tradition was born as a way to honour the bond between siblings.
Another story behind this festival is that after killing the Demon King Narakasura, Lord Krishna paid a visit to his sister Subhadra, who greeted him warmly. She also applied tika to his forehead with affection, and the day is celebrated as Bhai Dooj since then.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Mantra
Ganga puje Yamuna ko, Yami puje Yamraj ko, Subhadra puje Krishna ko,
Ganga Yamuna Neer Bahe, Mere Bhai aap badhein, phule phalein.
Bhai Dooj 2021: Puja Samagri
Two wooden chowkis, a red cloth for covering the chowki meant for the deities, a cloth or a kerchief, roli or kumkum and/ or chandan for putting tika, whole coconut with its husk, a whole dried coconut without its shell, an aarti thaali, two brass lamps, ghee or oil for lighting the lamp, cotton wicks, akshat, sweets, paan and supari, dakshina, flowers, fruits, kalava or mauli, prepare bhog Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Vishnu, and camphor (Kapur).
Bhai Dooj 2021: Wishes and Messages
- Celebrate the bond of love and faith; You always get what you pray for; It is the festival of Bhai Dooj, brother, comes early; Come ask your beloved sister-in-law to apply tilak. Happy Bhai Dooj!
- You & I are like Tom & Jerry fighting and giggling all day long. No matter how old we grow, we will still keep the madness alive in our relationships. Happy Bhai Dooj!
- May God bless you with prosperity, health, wealth, happiness throughout your life. Let us pray for each other and hope we stay safe all the time. Best wishes for Bhai Dooj!
- I am lucky that I have got a wonderful and wonderful brother in your form. Wishing you lots of happiness, success, and good health. Wishing you a very Happy Bhai Dooj 2021!
- How far you are from me now, my love and care for you will never be compromised. You’ll always be my most prized possession!!! Happy Bhai Dooj!
- My brother, you are more of a friend than a brother. You stand by me when you feel lonely; You always feel happy when I am down. Thank you for being there dear brother.
- You are the best brother one can have on this earth and this makes me feel blessed and protected. I convey my thanks on this wonderful occasion of Bhai Dooj. Have a great day and a wonderful year ahead my brother. Happy Bhai Dooj!
- Your presence always made me feel safe…you have been my North Star guiding me the right way…Love You Brother!!! Happy Bhai Dooj!
- Many best wishes to you on the auspicious occasion of Bhai Dooj, May there be happiness, peace, and prosperity in your life always.
- May this Bhai Dooj bring immense happiness and success in your life brother. Wishing you a Happy Bhai Dooj!
Bhai Dooj 2021: Images