From taking dig at Pak to talking about reforms in India: Top 10 highlights of PM Speech at UN
I am representing the country which is known as the ‘Mother of Democracy,’ says PM Modi at UNGA.Author : Divyanshi Soni
Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). He started his address at 6:30 pm IST.
Firstly, he congratulated the newly elected President of UNGA, Abdulla Shahid, who was elected on September 14, 2021. He then paid tribute to the people who lost their lives because of the global pandemic Covid-19.
PM Modi said, “In the last 1.5 years, the entire world has been facing the worst pandemic in 100 years, I pay tribute to all those who have lost their lives in this deadly pandemic and I express my condolences to their families.”
He further said that he is representing a country which is known as the ‘Mother of Democracy’. “On 15 August this year, India entered the 75th year of independence. Our diversity is the identity of our strong democracy. It is a country that has dozen of languages and hundreds of dialects,” said PM Modi at UNGA.
He further said that I am saying this to you with my own experience that ‘Yes! democracy can be delivered, Yes! democracy has delivered.’
He then remembered Pandit Deendayal Upadhayay on his 105th Birth Democracy. He further praised the philosophy of Pandit Deendayal.
Highlights of PM Modi’s speech at UNGA:
- Development should be inclusive, pervasive and universal: “Our priority is that the development must be all-inclusive, all-pervasive, universal and one that nurtures all.”
- India has joined 43 crore, who were previously unbanked, with the banking facility: “During last seven-year, India has joined 43 crore, who were previously unbanked, into the banking facility.”
- India has embarked on a journey to provide clean and potable water: “Polluted water is a very big problem for not only India but for all poor and developing and less-developed countries. India has been trying to provide fresh and clean water through pipes to around 17 crore people.”
- When India reforms, the world transforms: “When India grows, the world grows, when India reforms, the world transforms.”
- Science and technology innovations in India can help the world: “Currently, in India, more than 350 UPI transactions occur every month.”
- Come, make Vaccine in India: “Today I invite vaccine manufactures around the world to come and manufacture the vaccine in India.”
- Vaccine manufacturing and development: “I want to inform UNGA, that India has made the world’s first DNA vaccination that can be administrated to people aged more than 12 years, mRNA vaccine is at its last phase and Indian scientists are even trying their best to manufacture a nasal vaccine against Covid-19.”
- Countries are using terrorism as a political tool: “It is absolutely essential to ensure that Afghanistan's territory is not used to spread terrorism and for terrorist activities.”
- It is absolutely essential to ensure that Afghanistan's territory is not used to spread terrorism and for terrorist activities: “It is absolutely essential to ensure that Afghanistan's territory is not used to spread terrorism and for terrorist activities. We also need to ensure that no country tries to take advantage of the delicate situation in Afghanistan & use it for its own selfish interests. At this time, the people of Afghanistan, women & children, minorities need help. We must fulfill our duties by helping them.”
- Oceans should be used not abused: “Our oceans are also the lifeline of international trade. Ocean resources should be used not abused. We must protect them from the race for expansion. The international community must speak in one voice to strengthen rule-based world order.”