In a shocking development, a 20-year-old woman died after allegedly eating Kuzhimanthi- a biryani dish in Kerala from a local hotel. As per the initial report, the woman named Anjushree Parvathi reportedly had food poisoning after she ate the biryani she ordered online. Reportedly, Anju Sreeparvathy from Perumbala near Kasaragod, had eaten 'Kuzhimanthi' which she purchased online from a restaurant named Romansia at Kasaragod on December 31 and was undergoing treatment since then.

"A case has been registered after her parents filed the complaint. The girl died early Saturday (January 7) morning," police told a newswire, adding that further action will be taken based on the forensic report. Notably, Three people, including the owner of the hotel have been arrested by the Police. As per a local Kerala media reports Anjushree had ordered one full chicken manthi, one full chicken 65, mayonnaise, and salad from Al Romansiah Restaurant at Adkathbail in Kasaragod town on December 31. The food was home-delivered for lunch and five persons had it: Anjushree's mother Ambika, her brother Sreekumar (18), and her cousins Sreenandana and Anushree, both 20 years old. The food made them sick everyone in her family.

On Friday, Anju's condition worsened and she collapsed. She was taken to another private hospital at Nullipady in Kasaragod. The hospital declared her condition to be critical and referred her to a private medical college in Mangaluru. She died in the hospital around 5.15 am on Saturday.

Joshimath: The story of Uttarakhand's 'Sinking Town' and everything that you must know

After the incident came to the fore and started drawing attention on social media, the Kerala state government ordered a crackdown on restaurants and eateries across the state. The Food Safety Department conducted surprise inspections at 429 restaurants. Of those, the department ordered the closure of 22 restaurants for not maintaining hygiene and 21 for not having a license.

For the unversed, Kuzhimanthi is a popular Arabic dish that is loaded with flavours and is served with big chunks of meat. Earlier this week, a nurse at Kottayam Medical College died allegedly after consuming food from an eatery in Kozhikode.

Editors Choice