On Wednesday, the Union Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Model Tenancy Act (MTA) under the model separate rent authorities would be set up in districts to protect the rights of both owners and tenants.
What is the Model Tenancy Act?
As per the model, states and the union territories could adopt the Act and can modify their existing rental laws. Model Tenancy Act would not affect the tenancies.
According to the Act, the maximum limit for a security deposit for residential premises is a maximum of two months’ rent and for commercial property is a maximum of six months’ rent.
A written agreement is a must for all new tenancies. These agreements would have to be submitted to the concerned district ‘Rent Authorities’.
According to the act, the responsibilities of the landlord are –
- Structural repairs except those necessitated by damage caused by the tenant.
- The whitewashing of walls.
- Painting of door and windows.
- Changing and plumbing pipes when necessary.
- Internal and external electrical wiring and related maintenance when necessary.
Responsibilities of tenants –
- Tenants are responsible for drain cleaning, witches and socket repairs, kitchen fixtures repair, and replacement of glass panels in windows and doors.
- It is the responsibility of tenants to notify the landowner of any damage, as soon as possible.
Rules about the eviction of tenant:
Tenants would not be evicted during the continuance of the tenancy agreement unless both parties are agreed.