TSN ads TSN ads

Mumbai nightlife receives approval of cabinet: Hand-picked malls and eateries to stay open 24*7

The Maharashtra cabinet has given consent to the proposition of keeping malls, eateries and few other select places open for the entire night in Mumbai.

With the approval of the cabinet in place, the various malls and multiplexes have the full authority to remain open throughout the night from January 27, 2020. But if any establishments fails to abide by the set norms of operation then they could even lose their license forever.

Tourism Minister Aaditya Thackeray while addressing a press conference after the cabinet meeting, expressed confidence that the move will create employment opportunities in the city and lead to added revenue generation.

Also Read: Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: CBI waits for response of three countries

Besides this, he added that the move was not being forced on the establishments. We have not forced anyone to open 24*7. As the government, we can only provide necessary facilities so it is up to the establishments to decide on the number of hours they wish to remain open. However, the hours for serving liquor are specified and no confusion should lie on that, said Aaditya Thackeray.

In the pilot project, there would be no law order situation as only a select few establishments with the necessary checks in place will remain open, said the minister. It is determined that there are around 25 establishments in the city that would remain open which includes the famous High Street Phoenix Mall at Lower Parel and Atria Mall in Worli. Conditions to remain open 24*7 include fire compliance, CCTV surveillance, parking facilities and assurance of customer safety.

On reacting to this development, BJP leader Ashish Shelar alleged that someone close to the minister was set to benefit from this move. The BJP leader drew attention to the fact that both big malls that were to remain open throughout were in Tourism Minister’s constituency Worli.

On Tuesday, BJP leader Raj Purohit had said the move would lead to increased rape cases in the city and would lead to a law and order situation in the city.

Denying the accusations of the BJP leader, Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said that all aspects had been taken into consideration. BJP is opposing the move because they are in the opposition now. There will be no law and order situation in the city and the nightlife will remain safe for women, he added.

The hotel association Aahar has already welcomed the move.

Get the latest update about Maharashtra, check out more about Malls and Eateries, True Scoop, True Scoop News & Aaditya Thackeray

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for more updates.