National Nutrition Week 2021: From Theme to History to Significance, Here’s all you need to know
Every year, India celebrates National Nutrition Week from September 1 to September 7. The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the need for nutritious food.Author : Divyanshi Soni
To raise awareness about nutritious food and to promote nutritionists and their profession, India celebrates National Nutrition Week, every year, from September 1 to September 7. During this week, efforts are made by the government to raise and spread awareness about the right nutrition.
Health is an important factor in human life therefore, it is essential that to educate people about the nutrition and importance of nutritious food.
National Nutrition Week 2021: Theme
Every year, this week is celebrated under a specific theme and for this year the week would be celebrated under the theme – “Feed smart right from the start!”
The theme for National Nutrition Week 2020 was 'Eat Right, Bite by Bite'.
National Nutrition Week 2021: History
The idea of National Nutrition Week was first executed in the year 1973 by the members of the American Dietetic Association (now the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics) to raise awareness about nutrition.
In 1980, the week got a great response from the people and it was observed for a month.
The Central Government of India adopted the week in 1982 and the government started raising awareness campaigns to encourage people to understand the importance of nutrition.
National Nutrition Week 2021: What is Nutrition?
In simple words, nutrition can be defined as the process of obtaining or acquiring the food essential for one’s growth and development. Seven different nutrients play a vital role in growth and development. They are listed below:
- Dietary fibre
Good Nutrition is necessary because of the following reasons:
- With a poor diet, well-being is reduced.
- Helps to manage a healthy weight.
- Maintains the immune system.
- Provide energy.
- Delays the effect of Ageing.
National Nutrition Week 2021: Quotes
- “The first wealth is health.” – Emerson
- “Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food.” – Hippocrates
- “He who has health has hope, and he who has hope has everything.” – Arabian Proverb
- “Life is a tragedy of nutrition.” – Arnold Ehret
- “Today more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies, and lack of physical exercise.” – Mike Adams