Shardiya Navratri 2021: Here are five delicious recipes you must relish this year
During these nine days, people eat food made with ‘vrat’ ingredients like Singhara atta, buckwheat flour, sabudana, fresh fruits, sendha namak and samak ke chaawal.Author : Divyanshi Soni
Navratri is a nine-day-long festival. During these nine days, people worship Maa Durga and observes fast.
In Hinduism, it is believed that during Navratri Maa Durga comes to the home of her devotees to bless them with strength, power and prosperity. Therefore, during this auspicious time, people consume pure vegetarian food items without onions and garlic.
People, who observe fast, do not consume food items like cereals, grains, non-vegetarian food, regular salt and alcohol. They eat food made with ‘vrat’ ingredients like Singhara atta, buckwheat flour, sabudana, fresh fruits, sendha namak and samak ke chaawal.
This Navratri, we have brought some easy and less-time consuming yet delicious recipes, which you may cook and eat. With these five recipes you would be able to cook and eat different dishes throughout the festival.
Now let’s have a look at the recipes:
1. Kuttu Ka Dosa: If you love dosa, make one of Kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour) with potato filing. To make this delicious meal one needs to:
i. Make a smooth batter of atta and add small pieces of potato.
ii. Heat the pan and evenly spread the batter at the hot pan.
iii. Wait for some time and then flip the dosa.
iv. Cook form both sides, then serve hot with chutney (without onion, garlic and regular salt).
2. Sabudana Khichdi: Sabudana is full of starch or carbohydrates which gives you the much needed energy boost while fasting. Here is a simple recipe to make ‘Sabudana Khichdi,’ with simple ingredients.
i. Remove the excess starch from sabudana by washing it twice or thrice.
ii. Soak sabudana for four hours to overnight, depending upon the type of sabudana, drain water completely.
iii. Heat oil in a pan, add half tablespoon cumin seeds and green chillies. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
iv. Add boiled potatoes and sprinkle some sendha namak.
v. Lower the flame and add sabudana and mix well.
vi. At high flame, cook for atleast four to five minutes. Khichdi is ready.
vii. Serve hot.
3. Aloo Ki Kadhi: This is a unique dish, you will love to have it.
To make this dish, follow the recipe of regular khadi but replace besan with singhade ka atta batter.
4. Arbi Kofta: To make this delicious recipe, you need to:
i. Wash Arbi and potato cut into big pieces and pressure cook for three whistles. Peel the arbi and potato. Again wash it twice and combine in a bowl and mash it.
ii. Add all the dry spices, salt, gram flour and tamarind pulp. Knead a smooth dough but don't add water.
iii. Heat oil in a pan. Shallow fry koftas till brown.
iv. In the same pan add a little oil. Add cumin seeds 1 dry red chilli then add all the dry ingredients, salt. Mix…properly. Add water as needed. Boil the curry for few minutes. Add tamarind pulp and boil for few minutes.
v. Then add arbi koftas. Cook for few minutes.
vi. Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with green chili.
vii. The dish is ready to serve.
5. Dhokla: This is a healthy way to fast, this dhokla recipe is tempered with whole red chillies, cumin, ghee and curry leaves. Make Dhokla in regular way but replace besan with varat vale chawal. Garnish the dish with ghee, curry leaves, zeera.
Enjoy these meals, happy and healthy Navrate!