Twitter on Tuesday has sought for a formal dialogue with the Information Technology Minister after the Central government has asked the microblogging platform was ordered to block 1,178 accounts that have links with Pakistan and Khalistan and alleged for spreading misinformation and provocative content about the farmers' protest. Twitter said the safety of its employees is a “top priority.”
"Safety of our employees is a top priority for us at Twitter. We continue to be engaged with the Government of India from a position of respect and have reached out to the Honourable Minister, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, for a formal dialogue," a Twitter spokesperson said, adding that an acknowledgement to the receipt of the non-compliance notice has also been formally communicated.
The government previously had ordered Twitter to take down handles and hashtags that suggested a farmer genocide was being planned, saying such misinformation and inflammatory content will incite anger, and causing public disorder. The firm was also notified of penal action in case it fails to comply with its directives, citing provisions that could fine and also lead up to jail for 7 years.
The company said in its latest statement, "We strongly believe that the open and free exchange of information has a positive global impact and that the Tweets must continue to flow."
Twitter in an email response said that the firm reviews every report it receives from the government and takes appropriate steps regarding such reports and also makes sure it holds firm the fundamental values and commitment to protecting the public conversation.
Emphasising that the company strongly believes that the open and free exchange of information has a positive global impact and that the tweets must continue to flow, said the spokesperson.