Explained: Who is Bhupendrabhai Patel, new Chief Minister of Gujarat?
Bharatiya Janata Party on Sunday has elected MLA Bhupendra Patel as the next Chief Minister of Gujarat, who will replace Vijay Rupani.Author : Divyanshi Soni
A surprise move by BJP! On Sunday, Bhartiya Janata Party elected Bhupendrabhai Patel as the new Chief Minister of Gujarat. The decision was taken during the meeting held at Gandhinagar, where Bhupender Patel was unanimously selected as the CM.
The party called for a legislative meeting within 24 hours of Vijay Rupani’s resignation. The BJP committee meeting began at 3 pm in Gandhinagar and was concluded with naming Patel as the new CM.
“Bhupendra Patel has been elected as the new leader of BJP legislative party. He will be sworn in as the Gujarat CM soon,” said Union Minister and Gujarat BJP in-charge Narendra Singh Tomar.
Former Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, who resigned from the post of CM on Saturday, said that Bhupendra Patel would be a good Chief Minister and is “capable”.
Rupani said, “Bhupendra Patel is capable. We believe BJP will win the upcoming elections in the state under his leadership.”
Who is Bhupendrabhai Patel?
- The current Chief Minister belongs to the influential Patel community of Gujarat.
- Mr Patel became the MLA for the Ghatlodiya constituency after winning the 2017 Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections, against Shashikant Patel of the Indian National Congress.
- Earlier, he has served as municipal councilor of Ahmedabad.
- He was the chairman of the Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA) and headed the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation standing committee.
- In terms of educational qualification, Patel holds a diploma in civil engineering.
- Bhupendra Patel was born on 15 July 1962 (59 years).
- Bhupendra Patel is the 14th CM of Gujarat and the 7th Patel Chief Minister of the state. Bhupendra Patel was a surprise move of BJP as his name wasn’t mentioned on the list of main contenders, told a source.