Indian Air Force Day 2021: From Significance to History to facts, know all here!
Every year, Indian Air Force Day is celebrated on October 8.Author : Divyanshi Soni
The country celebrates Indian Air Force (IAF) Day on October 8, annually at the Hindon Air Force Station, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. The day is celebrated on October 8 because in 1932, on the same day, the Indian Air Force was officially raised as the supporting force of the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom.
To celebrate this day, the IAF chief and senior officials of the three-armed forces are present at the Air Force station. On this day, the airmen show their magnificent flying skills and perform eye-catching activities in the open sky. The day makes us proud of our Air Force, yet again and again.
Indian Air Force is ranked the fourth most largest and powerful Air Force in the world. This year the nation would celebrate 86th Indian Air Force Day.
Indian Air Force Day 2021: History
India Air Force or Bhartiya Vayu Sena was established by the British Empire on October 8, 1932. In 1933, the Indian Air Force conducted its first operational squadron. After the active participation the World War II, the Indian Air Force was re-named “Royal Indian Air Force” in the mid-1940s.
After India became an independent name the force was again known as Indian Air Force.
Indian Air Force Day 2021: Air Force and major participation in international wars
IAF is the crucial organ of the Indian Armed Forces and it plays a vital role in wars fought by the country. Air Force was a part of several wars since independence, including four wars with Pakistan and one with the People’s Republic of China.
IAF also provides help and safeguards the citizens of the nation from natural calamities like floods, and earthquakes. Airmen provide essentials and food for the people stuck because of natural disasters.
Indian Air Force Day 2021: Interesting Facts
- The motto of the Indian Air Force – “Touch The Sky With Glory”, has been taken from the eleventh chapter of Bhagvat Gita.
- Hindon Air Force station, situated in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, is the largest airbase in entire Asia and the eighth-largest airbase in the world.
- IAF has been involved in various operations, including, Operation Vijay, Operation Meghdoot, Operation Cactus and Operation Poomalai.
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Air Force.
- IAF has made a world record while rescuing civilians stranded during the Uttarakhand flash floods. The mission was named ‘Raahat’ during which the IAF rescued about 20,000 people.
Indian Air Force Day 2021: IAF's Mighty Fighter Jets
Let us proudly have a look at IAF’s mighty fighter jets:
HAL Tejas LCA: