International No Diet Day: 7 Proven ways to 'Lose Weight Without Dieting'
Have a look at healthy options for losing weight without dieting.Author : Priyanka Vinayak
International No Diet Day (INDD) is an annual celebration of body acceptance, including fat acceptance and body shape diversity. This day is also dedicated to promoting a healthy lifestyle with a focus on health at any size and in raising awareness of the potential dangers of dieting.
Here are 7 proven ways to lose weight without dieting:
1. Increase protein diet- One way to improve your diet is by consuming more protein. It keeps you full, helps build muscle and is key to a healthy diet. Try low-fat yogurt, small portion of nuts, peanut butter, eggs, beans, or lean meats. Experts also recommend eating small, frequent meals and snacks (every 3-4 hours), to keep your blood sugar levels steady and to avoid overindulging.
2. Chew thoroughly- Your brain needs time to process that you’ve had enough to eat. Chewing your food thoroughly makes you eat more slowly, which is associated with decreased food intake, increased fullness and smaller portion sizes. How quickly you finish your meals may also affect your weight.
3. Use smaller plates for unhealthy food- The typical food plate is larger today than it was a few decades ago. This trend could contribute to weight gain, since using a smaller plate may help you eat less by making portions look larger. On the other hand, a bigger plate can make a serving look smaller, causing you to add more food.
4. Choose liquid calories wisely- Sweetened drinks pile on the calories, but don't reduce hunger like solid foods do. Satisfy your thirst with water, sparkling water with citrus, skim or low-fat milk, or small portions of 100% fruit juice.
5. Add more steps- Get yourself a pedometer and gradually add more steps until you reach 10,000 per day. Throughout the day, do whatever you can to be more active -- pace while you talk on the phone, take the dog out for an extra walk, and march in place during television commercials. Having a pedometer serves as a constant motivator and reminder.
6. Drink water regularly- Drinking water can help you eat less and lose weight, especially if you drink it before a meal. One study in adults found that drinking half a liter (17 ounces) of water about 30 minutes before meals reduced hunger and lessened calorie intake.
7. Go for whole grains- Whole grains such as brown rice, barley, oats, buckwheat, and whole wheat also belong in your stealthy weight loss strategy. They help fill you up with fewer calories and may improve your cholesterol, too. Whole grains are now in many products including waffles, pizza crust, English muffins, pasta, and soft "white" whole-wheat bread.