World Paper Bag Day 2021: History, Significance and Interesting Facts
Every year paper bag day is celebrated on July 12th to create awareness about the use of paper bags instead of plastic bags.Author : Divyanshi Soni
Every year, paper bag day is celebrated on July 12th around the world. The day is celebrated to create awareness about the harmful effects of plastic bags on our environment. A plastic bag takes more than a hundred years to decompose, they are non-biodegradable and do not decompose.
This day aims to compel people to use paper bags in place of plastic bags as paper bags are the better option. Paper bags are far better than using plastic bags as they would conserve our planet for our future generations as they are biodegradable and renewable.
World Paper Bag day 2021: History
It is believed that the first paper bag machine was created by American inventor Francis Wolle in the year 1852 and the first square, and flat bottom bag was created by Margaret T Knight in 1870. She is popular as the “Mother of the grocery bags.”
After this, people around the world were demanding a ban on plastic and now millions of people use paper bags instead of plastic bags which are reusable and recyclable.
World Paper Bag day 2021: Why paper bags must be used?
- Paper bags are eco-friendly,
- Paper bags are renewable, recyclable and biodegradable,
- Paper bags do not leave any type of toxin,
- Paper bags are reusable if carefully handled,
- Paper bags are not expensive and are practical to use,
- Paper bags can be used as a home composter,
- It takes less energy to make a paper bag than a plastic bag,
- Paper bags are safe for pets and other animals.