World Teachers’ Day 2021: Theme, History and all about the day!
World Teachers’ Day is held annually on 5 October to celebrate all teachers around the globe.Author : Divyanshi Soni
The world celebrates “World Teachers’ Day” on October 5, annually to thank all teachers and educators around the globe. Teachers guide us from childhood and to honour and value them every year the day is celebrated at the international level.
This day is to honour, support, recognize and celebrate the country's educators.
“On World Teachers’ Day, we are not only celebrating every teacher. We are calling on countries to invest in them and prioritize them in global education recovery efforts so that every learner has access to a qualified and supported teacher. Let’s stand with our teachers!”, Director-Generals of UNESCO, International Labour Organization, Executive Director of UNICEF, and General Secretary of Education International, on the occasion of World Teachers’ Day 2021.
World Teachers’ Day 2021: Theme
Every year, the day is celebrated under a particular theme, and the theme for this year is – “Teachers at the heart of education recovery.”
One and a half years into the COVID-19 crisis, the 2021 World Teachers’ Day will focus on the support teachers need to fully contribute to the recovery process.
World Teachers’ Day 2021: History
For the first time, World Teachers’ Day was celebrated in 1994.
The day commemorates the anniversary of the adoption of the 1966 ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, which sets benchmarks regarding the rights and responsibilities of teachers.
The Recommendation concerning the Status of Higher-Education Teaching Personnel was adopted in 1997 to complement the 1966 Recommendation by covering teaching personnel in higher education.
World Teachers’ Day 2021: How To Celebrate?
World Teachers’ Day celebrations will take place in conjunction with the meeting of the Joint ILO-UNESCO Committee of Experts on the Application of the Recommendations concerning Teaching Personnel (CEART), which will be running from 4 to 8 October 2021.
To register in the event, one may click HERE.
World Teachers’ Day 2021: Quotes
- “If a country is to be corruption free and become a nation of beautiful minds, I strongly feel there are three key societal members who can make a difference. They are the father, the mother and the teacher”. - Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire”. - William Butler Yeats
- “The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards”. - Anatole France
- “The true teachers are those who help us think for ourselves”. - Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- “Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world”. — Malala Yousafzai
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge”. - Albert Einstein