At least 10 people, including children, were killed in a US airstrike in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul on Sunday. The US Central Command – CENTCOM, on Sunday said local media channel TOLO News that the developments came after the US carried out a "self-defensive" airstrike in Kabul against a suspected ISIS-K car bomb targeting the airport.

The airstrike took place merely two days after a bomb hit Kabul and killed around 13 US servicemen and more than 169 Afghans. Earlier on Sunday, another blast was reported near the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, when a rocket hit a residential building situated near the airport.

Also Read: Multiple rockets fired at Kabul airport amid US withdrawal rush, intercepted by defence system

CENTCOM spokesman, Capt Bill Urban said, “US military forces conducted a self-defense unmanned over-the-horizon airstrike today on a vehicle in Kabul, eliminating an imminent ISIS-K threat to Hamad Karzai International airport.”

He added, “We are confident we successfully hit the target. Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material.”

A day after the US carried out an airstrike on an explosives-laden vehicle in the Afghan capital, at least five rockets were fired at the Kabul airport today. However, the multiple rocket attack was intercepted by a missile defense system.

Initial reports suggest no US casualties. Meanwhile, the US’s evacuation operations continue uninterrupted.

Also Read: Explained: Why Taliban released only one photo of Hibatullah Akhundzada & Why his whereabouts are a secret?

Earlier in the day, there were reports of hearing the sound of rockets flying across the city.

US president Joe Biden has all US troops depart Afghanistan till 31st August 2021, bringing an end to the nation's longest military battle which began in response to the September 11 attacks.

You Might Also Like