The news about the Indian government’s new policy for social media
platforms has stormed the Internet as dissent to the latest guidelines could ban
digital media giants to function here. The new policy has been formulated by
the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and it will come into the effect from May 26.
Earlier in the day, Facebook said that it is ready to comply with the new guidelines. However, hours later, two other social media platforms YouTube and Google assured of the same to the GoI.
Google has said that it has a long history of complying with the local laws here in order to manage the content and it will continue to support the Indian government over the new guidelines.
"We respect India's legislative process and have a long history of responding to government requests to remove content where the content violates the local law or our product policies. We have consistently invested in significant product changes, resources, and personnel to ensure that we're combating illegal content in an effective and fairway, and in order to comply with local laws in the jurisdictions that we operate in," a Google spokesperson said today.
"We realize that our work in keeping our platforms secure is never done and we will continue to refine our existing approaches, and evolve our policies, and be as transparent as possible about how we make decisions," he added.
It is to be noted here that YouTube is a part of Google and its consent to comply with the rules has been given by the Google itself.