Explained: How air pollution can worsen Covid19 & What you can do for prevention
Reports from the latest studies have shown that air pollution can increase the severity of the illness. Meanwhile, it is also found out that the beta variant is deadlier.Author : Shagun
Its been almost two years and coronavirus remains the main concern for humankind. Covid is mutating rapidly and several studies are being conducted to check the severity of new strains and whether they affect the efficacy of the vaccine or not.
Reports from the latest studies have shown that air pollution can increase the severity of the illness. Meanwhile, it is also found out that the beta variant is deadlier.
Air Pollution can worsen the severe Covid infection
According to research conducted in America's most polluted cities, dirty air relates to the severity of Covid-19. About 2,038 hospitalised covid positive adults in Detroit were monitored for the study.
It was discovered that those who need ventilators and intensive care were living in neighborhoods with high air pollution levels and lead paint. Dirtier the air, higher the risk of severe Covid infection.
According to Dr. Anita Shallal of Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital, long-term exposure to air pollution can weaken the immune system, making it more vulnerable to infection. Fine particles in air pollution may act as a carrier for the virus and aid in its spread.
Moreover, this is not the first study to link the severity of coronavirus to air pollution. According to a study from October 2020, long-term exposer to air pollution can increase the risk of dying of Covid. Allegedly, long-term exposure to air pollution accounts for over 15% of Covid deaths globally.
Prevent air pollution at home
- Cigarette smoke is one of the most prominent causes of air pollution. To avoid pollution, it is essential to live in a smoke-free environment.
- Particulates from candles and incense, unpleasant fragrances, and allergens such as molds, pollen, pet dander, and dust mites can all contribute to indoor pollution.
- Household cleaning items can also contribute to indoor pollution. Fumes produced by harsh chemicals can irritate your nose, mouth, and lungs, as well as your skin.
- If possible, stay away from any wood-burning fireplaces or stoves.
- Proper ventilation plays a significant role in air purification inside the house. Also, the covid patients who are being treated under home quarantine are suggested to say in a room with proper ventilation.
Beta variant of covid is deadlier
According to experts in South Africa who examined more than 1.5 million Covid-19 patients, the Beta variant of the coronavirus may be deadlier than the original one.
Despite the fact that the Delta variety currently accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in many countries, Beta is still circulating, with mutations that make it more infectious and more difficult to prevent or treat.
According to researchers, those who have contracted the beta virus are more likely to get hospitalized, needed ventilators.